Hospital receives one hygiene rating and asks patients and visitors to help maintain good food safety
Glan Clywd has received food hygiene rating of one after an unannounced inspection. Food safety officers found that a number of fridges holding leftover food and drinks were not being managed in compliance with the Food Safety Act . An audit has been carried out across the health board on this type of fridges and processes have been strengthed for checking fridge temperatures.
Betsi Cadwaladr Health Board Boss to leave his job
The chief executive of Betsi Cadwaladr health board in North Wales will leave his job later this month. Gary Doherty will leave Betsi Cadwaladr health board to become director of integration at Lancashire Teaching. In July 2018, Donna Ockenden published an in-depth review of governance of the Health Board.
Pregnant women must be respected by medics, says regulator
A letter to the editor from Andrea Sutcliffe, Chief Executive of the NMC was published recently in the Sunday Telegraph. The NMC responded to last week’s report that women were being denied pain relief during labour. Andrea stated that mothers-to-be must be empowered to make informed choices and these choices should be respected allowing for pain relief to be administered at any point during labour.
2020 is International Year of the Nurse and Midwife
2020 is the “Year of the Nurse and Midwife” in honour of Florence Nightingale’s 200th birth anniversary as stated by the World Health Organisation.
A recent update from March Harder, lead for the National Bereavement Care Pathway showing the tremendous progress made in 2019. See below for details
• The completion of the NBCP pilot programme in 32 sites, culminating in the publication of the fourth and final NBCP evaluation report https://nbcpathway.org.uk/about-nbcp/nbcp-evaluation
• The engagement of many MPs, MSPs and other influential figures
• The issuing of the 6th version of the NBCP guidelines https://nbcpathway.org.uk/professionals/nbcp-pathways-material
• The revamp of the www.nbcpathway.org.uk website
• The adoption of nine bereavement care standards https://nbcpathway.org.uk/sites/default/files/2019-05/Bereavement%20Care%20Standards.pdf
• The delivery of two e-learning for health NBCP training modules https://www.e-lfh.org.uk/programmes/national-bereavement-care-pathway/ , accessed by 650 learners
• The hosting of seven NBCP implementation workshops – 235 delegates from 73 different organisations, with 24 different hosts, speakers and facilitators helping new sites to implement the NBCP
• The expansion of the programme from 32 to 51 sites, with the expression of interest of 64 further sites
• The groundwork for the development of the NBCP in Scotland
• … and much more!
NHS years behind with implementation of national safety alerts.
The HSJ reports that staff capacity and a lack of time has caused a huge delay in national patient safety alerts not being implemented years after the deadline set.
The pressures of nursing in the NHS as seen through the eyes of a student nurse.
A student nurse currently on a placement describes how strained the NHS is and the pressures the staff are under, the harsh reality is nursing isn’t what it used to be!
High cost of living forcing nurses to consider relocating out of London.
More than half of nurses living in London are being forced to leave the capital due to soaring living costs and increasing financial worries. A recent survey, carried out by RCN London, is now calling for an urgent review by London’s major, to include exploring rent controls across private the private rented sector and free travel for nursing staff.
Jeremy Hunt wins health role in select committee ballot.
Ex- Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt elected to head a committee of MPs that will scrutinise NHS performance and the Government health policy. Mr Hunt was among 15 committee chairs elected in a secret ballot. Standing against Boris Johnson for the Tory Leadership last summer, Hunt was the longest serving health secretary between 2010 and 2016.