Donna Ockenden has more than 30 years experience of working within a variety of health settings both in the UK and internationally. Donna’s career spans a number of sectors including acute providers, commissioning, hospital, community and education. For more than fifteen years she has worked within a number of increasingly senior NHS leadership roles including more than five years experience as Divisional Director of two large Women and Children’s Divisions on the South Coast and in London.
Whilst working within the NHS and internationally Donna has also successfully integrated a number of key national and London wide leadership roles. These include:
- Current Senior Midwifery Adviser to the chief executive of the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
- Current Trustee for MAMA Academy
- Current Chair reviewing 23 maternity cases of concern at Shrewsbury and Telford NHS Trust. This review has been commissioned by the Secretary of State for Health. The team is made up of Donna as chair, two midwives, two neonatologists (baby doctors) and two obstetricians (doctors who specialise in maternity care.)
- Co Clinical Director (Midwifery) July 2013 to June 2017, of the London Maternity Strategic Clinical Network working with Professor Donald Peebles as Co Clinical Director (Obstetrics)
- Current London Clinical Network Lead for Maternity Bereavement Project MBEM (Maternity Bereavement Experience Measure). Launched in June 2017, this project was supported and funded by NHS England and worked in partnership with SANDS, the NHS England Patient Experience and Insight team and the London Maternity Bereavement Midwives Forum. A toolkit has been developed and shared with maternity, gynaecology and neonatal teams across England. The toolkit outlines the findings of in depth feedback from women and their families about what helped them and what was important to them at the time of pregnancy loss and stillbirth. The work includes tried and tested feedback and methods from Maternity services leading on this care.
- Chair of the England Royal College of Midwives (RCM) Head of Midwifery Advisory Board from 2006 to February 2014
- Membership of the RCM Board 2011-12
- Clinical member representing South London Heads of Midwifery on the London Expert Maternity panel 2011-12
Internationally Donna was the co author of the first national Maternity standards in the Sultanate of Oman and led the successful introduction of those standards into practice across the Muscat region. In addition she led a multidisciplinary team plus parents, government representatives and faith leaders on the introduction of maternity and gynaecology bereavement standards first into Muscat and then subsequently rolled out nationally across the Sultanate of Oman.
Donna has extensive experience of working positively with multidisciplinary teams including hospital teams, GPs, commissioners and service users to introduce sustainable change. She has long term experience of service reconfiguration and evidence of working positively with local communities and all levels of staff during complex reconfiguration.
Donna has experienced considerable success in the use of creative and innovative methods of communication to reach out to both service users and fellow professionals alike. These include the award winning www.caringforwomen.co.uk and ‘Edie the E Midwife’ across South London Healthcare NHS Trust. All of these ‘E’ services were extensively road tested with a wide ranging multidisciplinary team and service users before, during and after introduction. This included a virtual GP IT advisory group across Greenwich and Woolwich during the development of www.caringforwomen.co.uk.