T: 01243 786993 | Contact

Support for families when a child has a disability

Action for Children

We help disabled children and young people gain confidence and independence. We’re there for families when they need us. We’re on hand to help, when families need us. Our 496 local services allow us to work on the ground, in communities. We offer a huge range of support. This includes help for families with disabled children, and services for young carers. 

Telephone 0300 123 2112 

Email [email protected] 

Website https://www.actionforchildren.org.uk

Contact a Family

National charity to support families of disabled children, whatever their condition or disability. Provides information, advice and support.

Telephone 020 7608 8700 

Helpline 0808 808 3555

Email [email protected] 

Website https://contact.org.uk 

Peeps HIE

Peeps is the only UK charity dedicated to supporting those touched by HIE (Hypoxic-Ischaemic Encephalopathy). We offer emotional, practical and financial support, as well as free parent packs for all neonatal units and support for healthcare professionals.

We provide support to parents, families and friends affected by HIE, raising awareness of HIE.

You can download our free app through the App Store or Google Play by searching Peeps HIE.

Telephone 0800 987 5422

Email [email protected]

Website  https://www.peeps-hie.org

Together for Short Lives

If you are parent or carer who looks after or knows a child or young person expected to have a short life, we’re here to help. Supporting seriously ill children and their families. Offering confidential emotional support and information on a range of issues. Connecting families with support services.

Helpline 0808 8088 100

Email [email protected]

Website https://www.togetherforshortlives.org.uk

UK Government

Your local council can provide help if you have a disabled child, including:

  • short break services
  • holiday play schemes
  • care at home
  • some aids and adaptations
  • financial help, e.g. money towards travel costs for hospital visits

Your council has a duty to provide these services under the Children Act 1989. Some are free of charge – the council might ask you to contribute towards others. If you think your child may qualify, contact the social services team at your local council.

Website https://www.gov.uk/help-for-disabled-child 

The Little Ted Foundation

The Little Ted Foundation provides support to bereaved families following the loss of a child and those with seriously ill children.

We provide Memory Maker Grants to help families enjoy a special day out or trip together, Cost of Living Grants for those families with a seriously ill child in hospital for longer than 7 days and Getaways at our beautiful caravan in Snowdonia, North Wales for both bereaved families and those with seriously ill children to have a break from the stresses and strains of everyday life.

We are also working with The Foil Keepsake Co. to provide the families we support with the most beautiful foil prints free of charge, whether that be scan photos, family hand prints or your little one’s footprints. Please get in touch to find out more about these prints and how to order them.

For more information on any of the support we offer, please visit www.thelittletedfoundation.org or email [email protected]